Sunday, March 09, 2008

March?

It's March? Seriously?

Let's see... We've all been sick. There is a cold virus out there that latches on for almost 2 weeks. Each of us had that. Another virus brings a week long fever. Madison & Hunter became the poor victims to suffer the longest with that one. Ali's cold lasted a total of 4 days - she slept through most of it. Poor Scott suffered with an earache. It was so bad his Dr. prescribed Vicodin for the pain. I'm working my way through a 2nd week of a sinus infection. Taking pictures of my sick, pasty-white children isn't much fun, so I don't have any new ones to share. Do you think we're ready for Spring? Heck Yah!

Both girls enjoyed playing Basketball this season. I begged Madi to let me sign her up for softball. Her heart isn't into it, so no spring ball for our family. Maybe Hunter will be the one that will play little league? *crossing fingers*

Report cards come out next week. Ali's weekly progress report shows her average grade is Science a 99.4%... Did I mention she is in the 7th grade Science class? We are so proud of her! Our Scientist in training! I hope she remembers her dear mother when she starts bringing in the big bucks.

We had a stressful time a few weeks ago. Madison brought lice home from school. *UGH* Now, I know that lice are supposedly harmless... but let's think about the mess, time & money ($25 a box) it takes to bug free a head... not to mention heads, beds, couches & van! As any good parent does, we took Madi into school the weekend after it happened, to let someone know. To our horror we hear that the district policy doesn't require a child to go home if found to have lice. Excuse me? I spoke to the district nurse about this. That was a treat! *NOT* Good old Harvard Medical Dept. says that lice do not transfer diseases, therefore a child shouldn't be rushed out the school doors once it's spotted. Mosquitoes were thought to be harmless 20yrs ago, too!!

So, if little BettySue is found to have lice at 10:00 am., she goes back to class... plays piggyback with her best buds during recesses, shares her brush in the bathroom and then hugs all of them goodbye at 2:30 pm. Sometime between 10:00 am & 2:30 pm, the school will contact her parents and ask to have her head treated. When I asked "What if BettySue's mother doesn't treat her and brings her back to school the next day?" I got "Well, that's never happened before"... Dealing with the North Santiam School District is a big pain in the backside! They don't want to hear from you unless you have something nice to say... they especially don't want to hear from you if you live in the Canyon. Heaven forbid your child goes to Mari-Linn... We're a bunch of stupid Hillbillies up here, you know. We're only 13.5 miles from the Dist. office - yet they make us feel like we're living on top of Mt. Jefferson. I learned long ago that if you don't stick up for your children, no one else will. Sometimes you even have to stick up for child's friend! It's OK to carry the "Mother from Hell" Award. In fact I'm proud of that title. I've come a long way since being scared of my own shadow in high school. LOL

Those of you that know me well know my sassy mouth... am I being overly sarcastic? I don't think so. Public School Districts need to remember that they are paid by tax payers and parents have every right to voice their opinions. Now, go out there and protect your babies & grand babies! LOL

Love to all, Knox5

No comments: